JR. NFL FLAG FOOTBALL
The Jr. NFL Flag Football Program is the premier flag football league for boys and girls ages 5-14 years old. The program teaches youth the fundamentals of football, good sportsmanship, and teamwork through practices and games. The goal of the program is to educate its participants in the game of football as well as teach skills and lessons that help them succeed both on and off the field.
To provide youth an opportunity to play and grow in a family-friendly environment.
The Fair Oaks Recreation & Park District believes that participation in youth sports and recreation builds positive self-esteem; promotes underlying values like sportsmanship, hard work, respect and camaraderie; and contributes to social, emotional, and physical development. We aim to provide programs to young people of all backgrounds that emphasize participation, teamwork, sportsmanship, and fun, placing less emphasis on the competitive aspect of sports and focusing instead on the process of growing and learning together. We expect all participants, parents, and coaches to support this philosophy.
DIVISIONS (ALL CO-ED)
- Ages 5-7
- Ages 8-10
- Ages 11-14
Our league runs each year during the Fall season. Registration for 2020 will open in the Spring.
- $95 for regular registration
- $110 for late registration (if spots remain)
Practices & Games
- Practices are held two times a week (days & times coordinated by head coach)
- All games are held on Saturday mornings starting at 9 a.m.
- Mouth guards required at all practices & games
- Each participant will receive a jersey of their NFL team
- Footballs provided by the league
- All participants receive a free one-year USA Football membership
Visit our Team Sideline page for game schedules and league-wide updates.
IMPORTANT DATES (2020)
- Fair Oaks Park Registration Deadline - TBA
- Mini Camp / Evaluation - TBA
- Scrimmages - TBA
- Opening Day Games - TBA
Fair Oaks Recreation & Park District accepts applications for dedicated Volunteer Coaches and Referee’s to assist with our Jr. NFL Flag Football Program. As a coach, you will be responsible for teaching kids not only the game of football but also sportsmanship, teamwork, equality, and the fun of playing organized sports!
We are looking for coaches for the following age levels: 5-7 years, 8-10 years, and 11-14 years. In order to provide the best possible experience for our kids, your commitment to the program is essential.
As a referee, you will be responsible for ensuring the rules of the game are followed and the game play is fair for all of those involved.
You must be able to understand the rule book and be able to make snap judgments and be confident in your calls. You will be tested at times by the players and coaches and you should be able to explain your call and stand behind your rulings. You need to work well with the other referees and be able to relate well with the players.
Head coaches will receive a free registration for one child. One assistant coach per team will receive half off of registration for their child.
Training will be provided for these volunteer positions and no previous coaching experience is required. However, basic knowledge of football is required. Coaches and referees are required to meet the following criteria:
- Endure light to moderate physical activity, exposure to heat and inclement weather.
- Be committed to building positive relationships with parents, players, other coaches, and staff.
- Lift or carry 20 lbs.
- Hearing and speech adequate to communicate in person and over the phone.
- Vision adequate to monitor children and read the fine print.
- Be able to comprehend the rules of football and understand the complexity of the game.
- All coaches and referees will be required to pass a live scan fingerprinting and background check.
- Volunteers must be willing to commit to coaching the full season.
BUILDING A SUCCESSFUL YOUTH SPORTS PROGRAM
As parents and guardians, we know that what you are looking for in a youth sports program is a welcoming environment that fosters teamwork, friendship, integrity, respect, positive teaching, and--most importantly--fun!
We share this concern, too! And we are always working to strengthen our flag football program so that it stands by our mission and philosophy.
our weekly values initiative
In 2019, we started a new initiative within our league to provide coaches, parents, and players the opportunity to explore the "bigger picture" ideas behind playing sports and playing sports as a team. Coaches were encouraged to take 5-10 minutes each week after practices to highlight one of the eight different values we identified as principles for positive development and true success both on and off the field.
With the feedback we received from parents and coaches this year, we are really excited to refine and improve this unique aspect of our program in 2020 and beyond, as part of our mission to provide positive learning and growing experiences for our kids through sports!
Here’s an overview of the values we looked at in 2019: